Tuesday, September 13, 2011

We ALWAYS choose our reaction!

Forgive me for being behind again, maybe I am unnecessarily adding a somber tone too late in the game, but I felt like I should add my 9/11 tribute and remembrances. 


I was sitting in my first period class in my second week of 10th grade. I was having a hard time adjusting to high school, I was worried about doing well in that particular class and I really didn't like that teacher very much :) My priorities seemed to change very quickly as I watched thousands of people lose their lives and their loved ones over the course of 7 periods. I don't remember much of what they had planned for us to learn in school that day and was trying to verify my Grandma, who was supposed to be flying out of Dulles, hadn't... (She hadn't. She didn't get to go where she had been attempting to for about another 3 days!) It was just about Biology (7th period) when they started putting faces of Al-Qaeda operatives up on the screen, linking them to the attacks.


Through all of the tragedy and horror of what happened 10 years ago, I have found the most comforting, fascinating and wonderful thing to be the positive things that came either immediately or slowly but surely over the course of the last ten years. I love to see the kiwi come out of people as a result of being faced with absolute dog poop. As President Thomas S. Monson recently said, "Destruction allows us to rebuild our lives in the way He teaches us, and to become something different than we were. We can make Him the center of our thoughts and His Son, Jesus Christ, the pattern for our behavior."


Below are two of the best examples I have EVER seen illustrating this principle:


BOATLIFT





Yankee Stadium gravel inspires memorial for 9/11 victim


Home Run!



2 comments:

  1. i'm becoming such a weepie! that boat video made me tear up...so amazing.

    ReplyDelete