Sunday, January 22, 2012

A Day in VA!

I was very excited to FINALLY get a call from the language service: they needed a Romanian interpreter for a court case in Stafford!! So I did everything I was supposed to: studied up with my dictionary and some of my favorite people in Romania, tried to learn the legal jargon, and even called the court the day before to be sure my case was still on the docket. After all that and an hour drive...Doamna Romanca didn't come. Oh well, it was probably better to have an opportunity to sit and listen to actual cases without the pressure of interpreting. I got the words I should have studied and feel a lot more confident about translating the next time they need me.

Plus, bonus! I got to spend the day with Annie: ate a delicious strawberry chicken salad and then she took me to the Marine Corps Museum, which was a lot more awesome than I was expecting. I have seen it several times driving south from Maryland, always pointing up in Quantico at a 45 degree angle. It was fun to see inside. It also happened to be snowing (yeah, two days after April-esque weather) so we decided it was the perfect cold day activity.

Spending time learning more about a branch of my military and some of their incredible sacrifices for my freedom=time well spent.

Bet ya didn't know the architecture symbolizes the flag raised over Iwo Jima







The flag raised and flown at Iwo Jima



2 comments:

  1. These pictures turned out great, and I'm still laughing at the irony that even in the united states, you got bunged by a romanian!

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg i am so in love with the where it's just your head sticking up above that cutout.

    ReplyDelete